4Travellers

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Mary's Card


I'm preparing for my jewelry show. I'm having double vision of pearls of every color and hue. I love pearls. The smooth texture, the coolness against the skin, and brilliant sheen are so alluring and decadent. Although, I enjoy working with these wonderful gems, I feel I'm ignoring the holiday season.

Today, I received a Christmas card from my good friend Mary. Mary's card heralds the holiday season for me. Not the fairy lights that sparkle the neighborhood. Not the beautiful wreaths that hung on doors. It's Mary's card. She always send them early in the month. Always.

As a response, I took out my electric candles from the basement. Up above the cabinets in the green plastic bin encased in plastic bag to separate them from the string lights. Colin and I tested each one, replacing bulbs on uncooperative ones. The girls and I placed them around the house. Growing up in LA in a ranch house, we never did put up candles lights for the holiday. But living in New England, it was to be. Lights by the windows was New England to me. Holiday in New England.

I'm glad that Mary's card arrived.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home