4Travellers

Friday, November 23, 2007

J-Lo



















In the beginning...



My mind is now clear. Always happens after a big turkey meal.

When couples marry, each bring a tradition from their own families to blend with their new partner. The Thanksgiving table for me signifies this.

To those of you in the know (meaning if you have Chic**** attached to your name, you will understand), a green shimmying addition to the table spells T-H-A-N-K-S-G-I-V-I-N-G. In fact without it, the holiday will seem lacking. The first time I encountered this is during our first year of marriage.

It was green. It was cold. It shimmied. It wobbled. It took some time to get used to the flavors. Year after year, it will appear alongside the turkey and the gravy. In fact, even when we were at someone else's house it appeared (more likely hitched a ride in the car). It was pretty ubiquitous during this holiday and at times made certain appearances during Christmas.

I am talking about the (in)famous Lime Jello. No, not Jello Green Giant or Green Jello Surprise. Just Lime Jello. With pears in heavy syrup (not in light syrup or in fruit juice -- HEAVY) and pecans.

Over our 14+ years together as a married couple, I have become to appreciate the significance of this particular dish. Not quite a salad or a side dish. It is a palate cleanser between bites of gravy-covered turkey and just-as-gravy-covered mashed potatoes. It is comforting in its dependable materialization at the table. Is there an analogy of this dish to life? There might be but I will leave it to your interpretation.

I can't believe I'm singing the praises for Lime Jello but I am.















Lime Jello in its glory!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home