4Travellers

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Bizarre

I was watching a show last night on Travel Channel called Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. I was transfixed. By chance, the episode was about bizarre foods in Philippines. Being a Pilipino and have eaten my share of funky food, I don't think I can eat most of what he tried. The host made eating worms so gourmet. He looked genuinely delighted in eating deep-fried stuffed frogs. What I liked about him was he was respectful of the food, the culture and the people. No harsh words on things he didn't like. He just said in effect that it wasn't his cup of tea.

When we travel Colin and I do seek out what the locals eat. My favorite memory of food was being on a boat in Cebu, Philippines. We just had a great lunch on a beach and were going snorkeling (while the girls slept on the boat). The boys who were manning the boat decided that they were hungry as well and donned on goggles. As Colin and I snorkled, the boys were gathering sea urchin. They opened up one for us to try. I remember thinking how utterly wonderful it was to be on banca (boat) with my family tasting the sea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home